POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Commercial Povray : Re: Commercial Povray Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:31:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Commercial Povray
From: Jérôme Grimbert
Date: 20 Mar 2002 02:29:23
Message: <3C983A63.5F82C7E9@atosorigin.com>
> Linux & associated apps are free, yet it has less than 1% of the desktop
> market. Why?

Apache Web server is free and has more than 50% of the web server market...
Given enough numbers, you can prove whatever your point is.
It's just a matter of isolating the 'right' number!

(right: good, according to the view to demonstrate.)

Moreover, how do you collect number of the desktop market ?
By cash flow ??? Then of course free desktop count less than expensive one.
And with the MS licence upgrade system, I currently would count as
a 4 MS home system: DOS, W3.11, W95 and W98. Whereas I only kept W98 installed.
Given that after W98, there was WME and now XP that the mass would have
upgraded to, by how much should you adjust the numbers ?

Side note: My system is a dual-boot with Linux, and main serious work
is perform under Linux. I currently kept W98 only for DVD playing, mpeg works
and internet connection (I'm just too lazy to configure that on Linux).
And I really prefer the free StarOffice 5.2 to the 'I cannot afford-bureautic' of MS.